Who we are


© 2017 Ben Gold

A community cinema in the heart of South Norwood.

Stanley’s Film Club is a community cinema in the heart of South Norwood. We screen a wide range of films, giving local people a chance to enjoy top quality cinema from around the world.

Brought to life by a team of passionate volunteers, our events are designed to unite and empower our diverse community. Discover local shorts, meet your neighbours in a ‘greet and chat’ after the movie and even suggest films for our Community Takeover strand. Whether a solo cinema-goer or socialising with friends, our doors are open to everyone, so come along and be part of the magic!

Stanley’s Film Club is a Community Interest Company (10755888), registered with Cinema For All (CFA 17-030) and Film Hub London, part of the BFI Film Audience Network.

Our mission:

To unite South Norwood’s diverse community through the power of film.

Our team:

Creative Director
Office Intern & Events Assistant
Programming Assistant
Copywriting & Blog
Projection
Website
Artwork
Katie Brandwood
Alice Werdine
Christina Papasotiriou
Josh Andrews
Matt Wright
Steve Calcott
Michele Egar & Libby Hamilton

We also would not exist without the dedication of our 20+ front-of-house volunteers, who work hard to bring our events to life through their love of film and community.

The story so far:

We started life in November 2014, offering free fortnightly screenings of classic films at Stanley Halls. In October 2015 we re-launched as Stanley’s Film Club, setting up home on the beautiful vintage balcony within the main hall and expanding our programme to incorporate new releases, documentaries and short films. In the year that followed we hosted 12 monthly screenings, plus two special events, before transitioning to a weekly community cinema in October 2016.

In May 2017 we moved out of Stanley Halls and took up residence in the SNCC, a necessary step to enable us to build a sustainable business model and support other local organisations as much as possible.

William Stanley (1829-1909):

We are named after William Stanley, or ‘Mr South Norwood’, a local inventor, architect, industrialist, philanthropist and all-round community champion, who worked his way up from humble beginnings.

Mr William Ford Robinson Stanley took an active part in public life in Croydon, generously donating over £80,000 to a multitude of local charities, hospitals and schools during his lifetime. He was a skilled architect who designed and founded the UK’s first Trades school (now Harris Academy South Norwood), as well as Stanley Halls, a venue for theatre, performance and learning.

As an inventor and an engineer he designed and made precision drawing and mathematical instruments and had 78 patents filed. His inventions included the wire-spoke bicycle wheel and a straight-line dividing machine (whatever it is, we want one!).

In 1907, two years before his death, local residents financed and built the South Norwood Clock Tower to thank Mr Stanley and his wife Eliza for their commitment to the community, and to mark their golden wedding anniversary.